There are several ways that have been proven to attack food addiction. But we need to understand what in the diet or environment is causing and driving this uncontrollable hunger that keeps us snacking away. There is a biological cause that drives our bodies. Now you can discover what causes this biological alteration. Make no mistake – the constant drive to eat, the insistent cravings, can be controlled and eliminated.
Food addiction is a pervasive challenge, and one that can prevent you from implementing strategies you know would benefit your health.
In the featured interview, Dr. Mark Hyman discusses his new book, The 10-Day Detox Diet, a New York Times bestseller, which focuses on detoxing from sugar and eliminating food addictions.
Insulin and leptin resistance drives and promotes fat storage in your body by promoting hunger and slowing down your metabolism. Dr. Hyman wrote a book called The Blood Sugar Solution, which addresses this.
Since then, he’s become increasingly aware of food addictions, caused by the addictive nature of sugar, refined carbs, salt, and trans fats. These substances act just like heroin or cocaine, giving you pleasure by triggering an innate process in your brain via dopamine and opioid signals. Casein and gluten (a major component of wheat) also have addictive properties.
Your brain essentially becomes addicted to stimulating the release of its own opioids. The food industry has cashed in on this effect, deliberately hijacking your taste buds, your brain chemistry, and your metabolism. As Dr. Hyman notes, the food industry has created an entire nation of people addicted to processed junk foods.
Americans eat about 152 pounds of sugar per person per year. The average American also eats an additional 146 pounds of refined flour per year, and flour has a higher glycemic index than table sugar.
Added sugars (processed fructose in particular) and refined flour are the two primary drivers of food addiction. Dr. Hyman places monosodium glutamate (MSG) in third place. MSG is hidden in many processed foods under a wide variety of names. It’s a flavor enhancer, but it’s also highly addictive, and helps drive up your insulin.
- Food addiction is a pervasive challenge, and one that can prevent you from implementing strategies you know would benefit your health
- Sugar, refined carbs, salt, trans fats, and MSG act just like heroin or cocaine, giving you pleasure by triggering an innate process in your brain via dopamine and opioid signals
- No matter what disease you’re trying to conquer, you have to address the basics of diet. Many symptoms will disappear without any other intervention
- Intermittent fasting is one of the most effective ways to eliminate sugar cravings and shed unwanted weight, as it speeds up your body’s ability to reset and start burning fat instead of sugar as its primary fuel
- Dr. Hyman’s detox diet revolves around replacing processed foods with real foods for 10 days. This will help you detox from sugar, reset your body’s chemistry, and eliminate food addictions
You can read the entire article by clicking here.
article source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/03/detox-diet-food-addiction.aspx
photo credit: Google Images