Anyone concerned with maintaining healthy eye function may want to add more broccoli, sardines and blueberries to their diet, according to the recommendations from an expert at Loyola University Chicago.
8 Good Eye Health Eating Musts
Newswise — You may remember your mother telling you to eat your carrots; they are good for your eyes. Well, she was right.
“Carrots are actually just one of the many foods, and supplements that contribute to good eye health,” says James McDonnell, MD, pediatric ophthalmologist, Loyola University Health System. “In some cases, eyesight can actually be improved depending on what you eat.” Dr. McDonnell is a professor and Director of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Ocular Realignment at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. He treats children and adults at the Loyola Maywood and Oakbrook Terrace campuses.
Eating a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables is of particular importance. “Make a colorful plate, especially with greens, blues and reds,” says Dr. McDonnell, who has practiced ophthalmology for more than 20 years. “Certain foods have distinct benefits for the eyes in addition to overall health including many of the trendy superfoods such as kale, broccoli and sweet potatoes.”
Dr. McDonnell recommends the following nutrients and supplements for healthy vision.
• Vitamin D.
Many of these nutrients can help keep your eyes healthy, and some may even improve your eyesight, an eye doctor says. It’s particularly important to eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, said Dr. James McDonnell. McDonnell said healthy eating might help protect you from cataracts, macular degeneration — a leading cause of vision loss in older Americans — and even blindness.
Click here to read the whole post with elaboration about each of the above
photo credit: Flickr/FromSandToGlass https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericabreetoe/9404882790/
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior, Latest 3rd Generation Technology
|Price:||$134.95 & FREE Shipping|
|You Save:||$100.00 (43%)|
- 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker–Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer
- Large, easy to use control panel with 14 built-in Smart Programs, Dual pressure, Automatic keep-warm and 3 temperatures for saute and slow cook
- UL and ULC certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms; Highly energy efficient and kitchen friendly
- Include 3-ply bottom stainless steel cooking pot, stainless steel steam rack with handle & manual and recipes in English, Spanish, Chinese and French
- Note: indeed it is recommended filling liquid no higher than the MAX line on the inner pot, but for dry food, such as a chicken, pot roast, or steaming vegetables, the inner pot can be filled with food over the MAX line. The inner pot capacity is rated 6Qt for the full size. Outer Rim is not made of stainless steel and coated with a thick heat-resistant paint.